Twenty Four years ago I started homeschooling Caleb. I never really enjoyed school myself especially in the younger grades. As I thought about our children starting school in our remote tribal location, I wanted it to be an exciting time, and I wanted them to love learning. Therefore I would decorate the classroom, make a special breakfast, take "class pictures" and really try to celebrate each new school year and the joy of learning. It was always fun to look through their new school books and get every thing ready for school. For twenty four years I have been celebrating a "New School Year" with my children. Guess what? This year I have NO CHILDREN who will be in school anywhere. When I am in Wal-Mart I feel this need to walk through the back to school section and then I have to remind myself I do not need anything there this year. Since this tradition of celebrating New School Years has been a part of my life for so long I find myself feeling very sad that come Monday morning I will not be celebrating this special event with any of our children. I will not be waking up early and making chocolate chip pancakes, I will not be blowing up any balloons, or hanging up any streamers. I will not be calling out "Be a shining light!" to any children as they head out to school. I wish I could adopt a child to be able to celebrate a new school year with and to cheer them on. I guess I am just a sappy mom not quite ready to move on to this new phase of life.






yesterday I was at Walmart and I saw how cheap the duotangs were and thought to myself, that's just too cheap to pass up! But I didn't give in and buy any. Oh well! I feel your pain! Love , Karyn
ReplyDelete