Friday, September 20, 2013

Vern's Cooking Corner

I made this video for a niece but I thought maybe someone else would be interested in this as well.  One activity we love to do as a family is cook together.  From all of our years living in a very remote area we cook almost everything from scratch. One meal we LOVE to make and eat is a pita meal.  Home made pitas are SO YUMMY.  Through the years I have used probably about five different recipes.  I found this recipe about four months ago and it is by far the best recipe I have ever tried.  A major thing I like about this recipe is that you do it over the stove.  All of the other recipes I have tried you have to bake the pita in a 500 degree oven and then you flip them half way.  Since you can only bake a few at a time it is very time consuming and you also get VERY hot opening and closing your 500 degree oven every minute and a half.  You also don't get a pita that poofs up each time.  If you like slicing your pita and filling it, getting a poof is very important.  I knead the dough and roll them out and Vern's job is frying them. He has tried a new technique in frying them and he is almost 100% in getting them to poof up.  So this video is for anyone who makes pitas from scratch, anyone who wants to start making them from scratch, or anyone who is extremely bored.

Vern's Pita Poof

4 comments:

  1. So funny Vern! Now we have proof that you have perfected the poof! Thanks for that entertaining video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you guys willing to share the recipe? :) Shane and Leila are wondering... thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.